I hope you all enjoyed reading the first part of our reflections. It was actually really fun for me to read back through them and remember some of the wonderful {and tough} things about our trip. Some of these answers are quite personal, and I wrote them originally knowing that only my pastor and the trip intern would see them. In an effort to be transparent and give you an accurate representation of our trip and its influences on us, I have included the vast majority of them. Here are the rest of the questions/answers - enjoy!
6) What is one thing you would like to keep doing here?
Josh: I would
really like to continue treating everyone like they are a part of a
family. We all say that we love how they
do that down in Brazil, yet it’s not long before we go back to our “American
ways.” And this doesn’t just pertain to
hugs and kisses, because that is simply not our culture all the time. To me it means treating everyone like you
love them, even people you just met and are likely to judge them before you
know them. It’s about accepting everyone
for who they are and embracing it.
Casey: I would love to make a
point of greeting every person in the room like the Brazilians do. I think it
makes everyone feel special and valued, much more than when we walk in a room
and just say, “Hi, everyone!”. However, this might be difficult because it’s
not normal for people here to do this, and I’m not very assertive/I don’t like
awkward situations.
7) Why was it worth people's money to support you?
Josh: Although
I did get a lot out of the trip, I feel that I truly made a difference in
people’s lives down in Brazil. Plus,
Restoration Ministries doesn’t just need money to do its work – it also
desperately needs people to help with all the work they have to do. They reach out to an extremely large amount
of people, and the staff works nearly year-round (they only take one month of
vacation). I love to serve, and I feel
that sending people that love to serve to other countries is a million times
better than sending some money to an organization. People can build relationships for lasting
support – something that money can’t do on its own.
Casey: Obviously this trip would not happen without the
help of people here (I don’t know of many college students who could fund this
trip themselves). Sending us provides much-needed relief to the ministry during
one of their busiest times. Even with our help, many of the staff worked long
hours, and while I’d say the parties were a success, we pulled them off without
a lot of extra time to spare. Going down there, I was able to see how important
the ministry is to so many people. Several of the kids come to the ministry on
a daily basis because it is a safe place to escape from the difficulties of
their lives. Encouraging the staff and helping such an influential ministry
keep going is so important. I’d also say that for many of the kids/teenagers
down there, having Americans (who many hold at high regard) come down and
invest in their lives tells them that they are valuable. While we were able to
help them because of the support we received, we were also blessed by the trip
ourselves. Planning together with a small group of students helped us to build
strong relationships with each other and seeing so many new and difficult
things together only strengthened that bond. I don’t know about everyone else,
but I’d say the things I did and saw in Brazil were life changing. My
perspective has changed so much. I have been blessed to see people in such
difficult situations trusting in God and even telling us how blessed they are,
even though they possess so much less than we do. Which actually changed my
perspective on how important physical possessions are at all. It has increased
my drive to go on further trips and continue serving God. It was such an
incredible opportunity to see God work in the middle of the monotony of school;
such a refreshing change of pace from focusing on school and doing what I can
to improve my life (not that I never think of others here, but spending all day
serving is definitely different than being in school).
8) What are three things you learned about yourself?
Josh:
i.
I take many of my things for granted.
ii.
I need to learn to share about myself more often
and open myself up to others.
iii.
Being in constant communication with God is
important to a healthy relationship.
Casey: I learned that I have a difficult time not being in control of my schedule. I
normally plan a lot. God has taught me to trust him with where I will be in the future, but
I did not realize until going on this trip how much I controlled my day-to-day schedule
(and am not very welcoming of unexpected changes in my plan for the day).
I learned that even though I often
ignore the fact that I have lupus, it really does affect me, especially when
I’m not getting enough sleep. I’ve decided to stop ignoring it and finally make
a long-overdue doctor appointment. I’m still struggling with how inadequate it
makes me feel that I do not have the same amount of energy that other people
around me have, and I’m still struggling to figure out how I can get enough
rest in situations like Brazil. My exhaustion did lead me to lean on God a lot
while we were there (which is never a bad thing).
9) In what 2-3 ways do you think you grew as a person? As a follower of Christ?
Josh: I think
I became more humble, especially financially.
I got a little better at talking to people that I don’t know very well,
which is good for me because I can tend to be introverted. I learned that I need to focus more on my
relationship with God, which has helped me as I came back to the States – I
have spent a lot more time in my Bible and in prayer. My prayers have also been more heart-felt,
thanks to my experiences with the way some of the Brazilians prayed during our
trip. I envied their passion, so I am
glad that I picked some of it up.
Casey: The answers that come
to mind here are similar to those from the previous question – learning things
about myself helps me to grow.
I grew by learning to
be more flexible with my schedule – after all, it isn’t really my day anyway,
it is God’s day.
I grew in changing my
perspective of wealth. I may be poor in the eyes of many Americans, but I am
rich to most of the Brazilians I met. Also, seeing physical things as less
important.
10) How did you see God work in you and others?
Josh: God
broke down language barriers – that is always apparent to me. It doesn’t matter that the Brazilians speak
Portuguese and the Americans speak English.
God will always find a way to allow people to communicate if it is in
His will. Also, God helped our team to
really work together. Although there was
a few times where some people got a little grumpy, God helped us to stay
together and lift each other up. And I
always love how well the Americans and Brazilians work together. I’m reminded of the morning we showed up and
the day center was flooded. No one sat
back and worried or whined about what we had to do; everyone immediately
pitched in and began working. God gave
us joy and teamwork in our troubles.
Casey: God used each and
every one of us to make a connection (no matter how big or small) with at least
one other person while we were there – and hopefully those connections will
continue.
God definitely used
testimonies while we were down there. Lacey’s was very powerful and the effects
were immediate and could be seen. But I’m sure the other testimonies had
impacts even if we could not see them as clearly.
God used Christy and I
to affirm our worth in Him (through each other) as we have different interests and personalities
than many people that surround us. Through each other we’ve been able to
discuss how it is okay to be different, and God has created us to be who we are
even if we are different.
God used us to provide
encouragement to the staff and to love on and enjoy the kids and teenagers that
were around (as God loves on us and enjoys us, and we are do love on Him and
enjoy Him).
I hope you enjoyed reading all of our responses and I hope they gave you a better picture of our trip. Keep checking back for more Brazil 2011 updates, as well as a Utah update, and some news on the 2012 Brazil trip!

No comments:
Post a Comment